Great recipe! Looks delicious and I’ll have to try this soon as pancakes are my favorite breakfast item along with french toast. I’ll try the orange pancakes, they sound super delicious.
What better way to enjoy a weekend morning than with a plate of pancakes layered with fresh, juicy strawberries? I love strawberries can be purchased at almost any point throughout the year, so that means this gets to be more than just a seasonal treat for my family.
This recipe is simple to make. With a basic pancake recipe, the macerated strawberries are simply made with sliced strawberries and granulated sugar. You can even add a few tablespoons of lemon juice or orange juice and to help reduce the sugar slightly for tart citrus flavor.
- 2 cups sliced strawberries
- 3 Tablespoons Sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups to 1 2/3 cups milk
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Combine the strawberries with 3 tablespoons of sugar in a bowl. Gently mix and set aside for at least 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. The strawberries will make their own juice
- In a bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, 2 tablespoons sugar, and salt; stir to blend.
- In another bowl, whisk eggs with 1 1/2 cups of milk. Stir into the flour mixture along with the melted butter and vanilla. Add a little more milk if the batter is too thick. Stir just until smooth and well blended.
- Using about 1/4 cup of batter for each pancake, cook on a hot, greased griddle. Cook until bubbly and lightly browned on the bottom; flip over with a spatula and brown the other side.
- Layer the pancakes with the sliced strawberries and serve them with your favorite syrup.
- To keep subsequent batches of pancakes warm, heat the oven to 200 F. Place pancakes on a platter or baking pan in the preheated oven and cover loosely with foil while you make the remaining pancakes.
- After 30 to 45 minutes, cover the strawberries and refrigerate until serving time.
- Orange Pancakes: To the dry ingredients, add 1 teaspoon of finely grated orange zest and 1/4 cup of orange juice. Reduce the milk by about 1/4 cup.
- Fluffy Pancakes: Separate the eggs. Make the batter with the egg yolks. Beat the egg whites to stiff peaks and then fold them into the pancake batter until blended.
- Add 2 tablespoons of Cointreau or Grand Marnier to the strawberries and reduce the sugar to 2 tablespoons.
- Add 2 tablespoons of fresh orange juice or lemon juice to the sliced strawberries and reduce the sugar to 2 tablespoons.
- Make the sauce with 1 cup of sliced strawberries and 1 cup of fresh blueberries. Add 1/4 cup of granulated sugar and let stand for 45 minutes.
- Add sliced bananas to the layers with the strawberries.
Share this Recipe