Being happy is priceless. When you are happy your day goes better, and when your stress levels are low, you have a better outlook on life in general. There are little things that we can do every day to enrich and enhance our lives without spending a single dime.
1. Hugs & Kisses:Everyone loves a good hug and kiss. Showing and receiving affection are ways to let someone know (as well as letting you know) that you are loved and appreciated. A good hug and even a good cry, can make you feel better.
2. Out with the old: Or at least the completely unnecessary. Cluttered spaces usually equal a cluttered mind. The less mess you have around the less overwhelmed you will feel.
3. Get a hobby: We all need alone time. Whether you enjoy reading, sewing, scrapbooking or photography; having something to do during your downtime usually can help you feel productive.
4. Yoga: Without a doubt yoga or some form of meditation always seem to lift my spirits. I enjoy being able to sit in a quiet space and free my mind from all the cares that I have. For those 90 minutes (Bikram), I am reducing my stress and allowing myself to “re-boot” my brain.
5. Pen Pal: Who doesn’t like mail? Yes, we have email now, but with good old-fashioned snail mail becoming a lost art (well not really), it’s a great way to connect with new friends or even old ones.
6. Picnic in the park: This has been one of my favorites as of late. We don’t always have food, we may just take a blanket and lay out in the sun. Either way it is definitely relaxing, plus it is a fun way to connect if you decided to take along a your spouse or kids.
7. Dance: My ten year old can attest to this one. Dancing just makes you happy. Couple that with a good song playing (or in her case, there is usually no music playing), and its an amazing way to let loose and just be silly.
8. Take a Walk: I enjoy walks around the neighborhood with the kids. As a family we cherished our weekly Friday evening walks when Dad got off of work. It’s a little harder to do now, but we always try to squeeze one in.
9. Take a trip down memory lane: Have old home movies or pictures to look at? Why not take sometime and just flip through or watch them. Being able to rehash the past can at times make you feel better. But I do caution you…there have been cases where you can spend hours on end doing this and not even realizing it.
10. Just sit: Pretty weird huh? Well sometimes just sitting and doing nothing can bring happiness. Maybe with a good cup of coffee or even a glass of wine.
Sometimes the best things (and moments) in life are truly free.